Looking for a US criminal defense lawyer is not a very easy thing to do as there are many different variables that come into play starting with, is this a ticket offence like a drunk driving or reckless driving, or is it a federal offence like drug trafficking or money laundering that will be tried in a US Federal court?
US Federal courts are where you really are swimming in a tough pool as far as convictions rates are concerned, and as the conviction rates are higher, so will be the rates that the legal profession will charge you to mount a good defense.
Many jurisdiction in the US are feeling a budget pinch, unofficially what they are doing is increasing what we like to call the gotcha tax, where they increase the street presence and up the numbers of traffic stops and tickets that are coming into the system, as they are going after speeding offences and safety equipment infractions like broken or missing equipment like lights or seat belts, they are getting an increased catch of the more serious criminal offenses that can end you up in jail or prison, like drunk driving and drug offenses.
1) DUI offences are best handled by those lawyers who specialize in this one little area of the law. This is a very lucrative area of the law you can spend on average 5,000 US dollars, and if it is a repeat offence, don’t be surprised if it climbs into the 10 to 20 thousand dollar range to keep you out of jail.
2) The smart people will tell you when you are looking for a criminal defense attorney, to talk to as many people in the community as you can and ask for some recommendations on who is the best criminal lawyer for your type of case in your state. In all facets of life when looking for a professional, a personal recommendation from someone who has dealings with, or was intimate with someone who had dealing with a criminal defense lawyer, will not point you at someone whom they have had a bad experience with, this is a great place to start from in your search for the best criminal defense attorney you can afford.
3) In all legal cases you should look for lawyers and law firms that you are comfortable with. You have a lot at stake, and doubt about your lawyer, should, if you take time and effort to find a good one, not be one of your worries.
4) Look to those Criminal defense lawyers whose practices are more than half in the criminal area, as it is their specialty area of the law; they are as a general rule going to have more insights and experience with the local judges and prosecutors that will work in your favor many times.
5) When looking for a legal defense lawyer a good thing to do is to reset your expectation about the law and money and the reasons why are quit simple in criminal cases, this is about hard time, which if you can avoid it you will be eternally grateful. A good thing to remember when looking to find a criminal defense lawyer is this simple fact, you will have many chances in life to make money, but you can never make more time.